Garfield House opened in the fall as the second new residence hall to be built on campus in 40-plus years—and only the second building in Massachusetts to meet “Passive House” criteria for energy performance, considered
the most stringent in the industry. Passive houses feature a well-insulated building envelope, high performance windows and passive solar heating.
Details of the original Garfield House, which was built in 1850, were incorporated into the new building, including the bricks lining the fireplace and a wooden founders’ plaque placed near the kitchen. The sunlit, 40-bed dorm offers study nooks, laundry rooms on the first and second floors, a kitchen and dining area, and several communal spaces.